Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's 2010

For the last 3 years we have gone downtown to see the lights @ temple square on New Year's Eve. It's hard to figure out something kid friendly to do that is not too expensive. This year the temps were supposed to be down in the single digits so we were trying decide if we should actually go or if it would be better to stay home. The snow let up and we figured if it was too cold we could just enjoy dinner. This year we had dinner at a Sawadee Thai. It turned out really good since it is the same owner as Thai Siam, one of our favorite Thai food restaurants. Our waitress used to work at Thai Siam so she knew us. I think it makes the dining experience much better when you are familiar with the waitress.

After dinner it was still snowing! We drove to temple square to try to find a parking spot. This is always a challenge and in years past we have just picked a restaurant somewhat close and walked after dinner, but this year it was so cold there was no way I wanted to park far. We circled the block and found someone getting in their car right across the street from the main entrance! I was overjoyed!!! 





He looks like Rudolph!
On our way back to the car we stopped at the Zion Bank across the street from the JS Memorial Building. They usually have eclaires and party favors. They didn't disappoint this year! They had great eclaires, glow sticks and small cow bells. The kids jingled all the way back to the car. I hid them in the car under coats as I knew it would really get on my nerves on the way home. Luckily they were satisfied playing with their glow sticks. The roads were horrible on the way home. They were actually worse in the city than on the freeway but there were patches of great road and then some covered in snow. It's taxing to drive in those conditions. I felt exhausted when we got home. 

We let the kids stay up a little later than normal and sat them down for some popcorn and a movie. After Elijah finished his popcorn he had no desire to watch anymore movie so we put him to bed and watched a little bit of the movie with Nicolae. I realized at 10 o'clock it was time for him to go to bed too. Unfortunately no matter how late you let them stay up they don't sleep in any later in the morning. They are always in our bed between 6 & 7:30, sometimes earlier, but never later.


So the next morning when they found their bells they began ringing them all around the house and then it turned into caroling. Marius and I were busy making beds and cleaning up. We had nothing to do with their parade. I look up and they are both in the doorway with their santa hats on, ringing the bells and singing jingle bells. It was so cute! Then after a minute they went to the other room where Marius was and sang in that doorway and then they started parading around the house singing jingle bells over and over and over again. This is a really funny video clip (especially Elijah) but you might want to have your speakers on low if you are easily annoyed by the same sound repeated... a lot! But watch and listen to the end, its the best!

Elijah is saying "Oss". Its a karate term. 


1 comment:

Andrea said...

I know I always say this...but your boys are growing up so fast! Loved the video - incredible talent.